You’re not the only one who has allergies on your mind! Seasonal allergies can cause additional sensitivity, such as jewellery or metal sensitivities, to also act up now that spring has arrived. Here are some things you should know about metal sensitivity, how to get the most out of the jewellery you already own, and advice on how to pick the best pieces of jewellery for sensitive skin.
What Takes Place During An Allergy Reaction To Jewellery?
There are several indicators to look out for even though each person’s response to metal sensitivity is unique. Allergies to the metals in your jewellery might cause itchiness, redness, swelling, discomfort, and warmth at the exposed region.
Therefore, it is possible that symptoms won’t appear right away. A rash or pain may not appear or start for a day or two! This might make it challenging to identify jewellery as the culprit.
Are Your Jewellery Allergens?
Jewellery in general cannot cause an allergy in anyone. The response to one of the materials used to produce your jewellery is what’s really going on. And it happens frequently! For instance, up to 20% of persons have nickel allergies. And while allergies to nickel are common, many people also experience responses to:
- Although it isn’t frequently used by itself in jewellery designs, copper is one of the metals required to make rose gold. Therefore, copper may be to blame if your favourite rosy-colored ring is giving you a rash on your finger.
- Brass is a common material for making inexpensive, fast-fashion jewellery sets, but it is actually an alloy—a combination of other metals. Can you identify the metals that are included in the mixture? The two metals that most frequently cause allergic reactions are copper and nickel. Avoid brass if you are sensitive to either of these.
- Speaking of alloys, there are a variety of metal admixtures that can set fire to materials. This is due to the fact that many alloys contain troublesome metals like nickel and copper, as you would have anticipated.
What Should You Do If You Are Sensitive To Metals In Jewellery?
Of course, be careful to control your symptoms and seek medical attention if you suspect an allergy. Your body may be reacting to chafing or moisture trapped under your ring, for instance, by breaking out in a rash. Before making modifications to your jewellery collection, you should have a professional test you to be sure you are indeed allergic to a certain metal. Here are some other remedies you can try at home to reduce your symptoms:
Test for Metal Makeup in Your Jewellery
Get them tested if you’re having trouble figuring out which piece (or pieces) of jewellery you’re responding to. The only method to be certain is to do a metal test because some jewellers may not always specify the minor metals present in alloys. A metal testing service is available from Swarajshop just give us your item and we’ll determine what materials are used.
Clean Up Your Jewellery
Cleaning your house in the spring is a terrific way to get rid of dust and make your space sparkle, but don’t forget to clean your jewellery collection while you’re at it! Every item should be sanitised after use, but if you’re experiencing an allergic response, pay particular care to hygiene. On your jewellery, bacteria and dirt can accumulate and create discomfort and irritability.
- Use a mild detergent that won’t make your allergies worse.
- Thoroughly dry your clean jewellery.
- In between wearings, keep your jewellery in a spotless, covered place.
Send your jewellery in for a spa treatment for the ultimate spring cleaning. Each item will receive a thorough steam cleaning, stone tightening, and polishing.
Transform Your Jewellery
There is yet hope if you are heartbroken to discover that your favourite necklace is making you sick. You may do a number of things to continue wearing each item in your collection.
- Get it plated: A base metal can be made more tolerable by having a thick coating of hypoallergenic metal added to it. Because it doesn’t contain nickel and is strong, rhodium is a preferred plating material.
- Reset the stones: If the metal settings on the gemstones in your jewellery are causing you to react, you may replace them with fresh metal that won’t affect you. You may wear hypoallergenic jewellery without concern by resetting your jewels.
- Put it to fresh use: Make a pin out of your favourite necklace or set of earrings. In this manner, the pin may be attached to a purse or a lapel without ever coming into contact with your flesh. Be imaginative! There are several applications for contact-free jewellery.
What to Consider When Purchasing Hypoallergenic Jewellery
When looking for new jewellery sets, there are a few things to consider if you have a metal sensitivity. Avoid the problematic metal, of course, and get a complete description of the jewelry’s components from the designer before you buy. Here are some extra pointers:
Don’t Sacrifice Quality
Nickel or copper alloys are frequently used by jewellery makers to keep their products inexpensive. Alloys constructed of less expensive metals are widely used in fast fashion and costume jewellery. Generally speaking, it’s a good idea to search for fine jewellery selections that use better metals, such as:
- High Karat Gold: Gold that has a higher karat rating is purer. For people who are sensitive to the metals in jewellery, anything above 14K is usually safe.
- Platinum: If you want jewellery that is silver in colour, platinum can be the material for you. Although it is pricey, it is also 95% pure and free of nickel and copper.
It’s usually necessary to have a complete inventory of the metal components in jewellery before deciding to buy a piece so you can identify any exceptions or hidden alloys.
Verify every detail
Your jewellery may react to every component, bead, and ornament if it was produced with a metal you are allergic to. Pay particular attention since clasps, spacers, and other findings are frequently fashioned from materials that differ from the materials used to create the rest of the jewellery. Look for jewellery with jump rings, bead caps, and the clasp all being 100% hypoallergenic.
Use Leather With Caution
Although leather may appear to be a safe material, it might really contain minute quantities of metal that could make you react. Heavy-duty equipment can leave traces of metal behind while tanning cowhides, which causes stretching and compression. When selecting a new leather watch band or strappy bracelet, use caution. Alternately, use vegan leather if you want to be very assured you won’t experience an allergic response.
Even more so for body jewellery, the material
Skin can vary in sensitivity depending on where it is located. Your ear is immediately pierced by an earring. The same principle applies to belly button and nose rings, as well as any other piercings you may have! When you have a jewellery metal sensitivity, these regions are more likely to experience a severe response. It’s very crucial to get body jewellery that is secure for you. Verify again the components of your body jewellery, such as the post and back of an earring, for instance.
If you have a metal sensitivity to jewellery or are just beginning to suspect an allergy, we hope these suggestions may be helpful. Your jewellery collection may easily become allergy-friendly once more with a little cleaning, care, and consideration. Additionally, there are more hypoallergenic brand options than ever before.